Saturday, May 5, 2007

mexican cornbread


Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings
"This has got to be the tastiest and the most moist cornbread I have ever made. It is the most requested thing I cook, so I am sharing it. Don't let the ingredients fool you. It's unbelievable."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 (15 ounce) can cream-style
corn
1/2 (4 ounce) can chopped
green chile peppers, drained
1/2 cup shredded Monterey
Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar
cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chiles, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.

**yes catherine this is the bread that you scarffed down at the chili cook off!

1 comment:

Jessica Jo said...

I make this cornbread too, and it is so delicious. It's my favorite cornbread recipe, and I think of myself as a cornbread connoisseur :)