Friday, March 27, 2009

Maple Granola

I bought this book called Whole Grain Baking by King Arthur Flour and it has by far the best whole grain recipes that I have tasted. So I tried making this granola today from the book and had to share it. I made a double batch and am tempted to make another since it keeps really well and I can say without a question this will be breakfast for me!

7 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 c. flaked coconut
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. sliced almonds
1 c. pecans or walnuts chopped (I like pecans best)
1 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 t. salt
1 c. maple syrup
3/4 c olive oil
1 T vanilla extract (I also add 1/2 t almond flavoring)
1 c. raisins, cranberries, and dried apricots

mix the oats, coconut, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, salt in a large bowl. in a separate bowl combine the syrup, oil, and flavorings. pour over the dry and mix well. bake in the over at 275 degrees for 2 hours. stirring after 1 hour. I lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper for easier clean-up. let cool completely and add dried fruit. store in an air-tight container at room temp.

I made mine without the seeds, raisins, cranberries, and apricots and instead I did add 1 cup dried blueberries which I thought turned out wonderful!
goodluck and enjoy!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I use a version of the King Arthur's granola too and we all love it. My sister uses recipes from there all the time to make pretzels, cakes, bagels and all sorts of things. I haven't been that daring but if the other recipes are half as good as the granola then it would definitely be worth a try.

Satoko said...

Hey! Thank you for the comment on my blog. I am glad that you visited me. You have an amazing recipes here! Also I appreciated the Asian Salad recipe that you shared on FB too. I can't wait to try it!